Blog 10: Net Smart, How to Thrive Online
Blog 10: Net Smart, How to
Thrive Online
Attention, Participation Power, Social, Digital Know-How...
Chapter 1 of “Net Smart” centered on the need to develop our
ability to focus; to use mindfulness to be aware of our time and how we’re
using it. There were a couple of quotes
that I think spoke to this issue. “The
habit of multitasking, amplified by technologies of distraction, is hurting our
capacity for sustained attention,” and “teaching people more mindful, mediated
communication seems the most feasible remedy.” The hopefulness in this chapter was the idea
that we can train our ability to pay attention. All is not lost (though, with their cell
phones almost constantly at the ready, our students might make us think
otherwise!). Practicing meditation
(breathing) so we can lead more mindful lives, begins the path to better
attention. I will use one more quote
here, “mindfulness exercises can have lasting effects on attention.” I’m not sure how I can incorporate this in my
classes, but it can be helpful to me, at the very least.
Though Chapter 1 was interesting, I felt that the overall message
of the book was centered on the following chapters. This book clearly advocates the need to be knowledgeable
about the internet. It goes a step
further in suggesting that we also need to be active users of the internet. Chapter 2 can be summed up with the sentence, “Knowing
how to blog, tweet, wiki, search, innovate, program, and/or organize online can
lead to political, cultural, and economic value.” The author goes beyond these modes of
participation (with curating and tagging, for example), but the message seems
to be that we all need to be active participants in the internet.
Chapter 3 discusses the need for social collaboration; the
power in solving problems collaboratively.
I have had a poster on my classroom wall for many years which echoes the
title on page 159, “All of Us Can Be Smarter than Any of Us.” Collaboration is a powerful tool, whether
exercised as a Wiki or crowd sourcing. I
involve my students with a lot of collaboration just through team
problem-solving and paired work. I agree
with the need to develop collaboration skills, I don’t know that internet
collaboration, as it is discussed here, will be useful. Using Google docs is good. I haven’t gone beyond that.
The book goes on with
the importance of networking, with Facebook, or whatever method you choose but,
at this point, I felt that the book went on with more of the same message that
was introduced in earlier chapters.
Rheingold’s summary words:
Attention, (Crap Detection), Participation, Collaboration, Network
Smarts, and Literacy as a Lever or Divide say, in a word, the ideas I’ve
mentioned above.
What does all this mean? I think it is important to learn
internet skills. Using the internet has
become mandatory in the 21st century. While saying that, I think it’s also
necessary to determine your goals. Does everyone need to be actively
participating in blogging or developing wikis, or curating and tagging? I think the answer is no. There is value in knowing what these skills
are, and to maintain internet literacy but, for myself, there isn’t enough time
in the day to do all these things.
I do think I need to insert the internet and technology into
my teaching. Students need to be using
these skills, and I need to keep my teaching current. I’m thinking of ways I can encourage better
student literacy, and this book offers an interesting point of view to be
considered.
I love the quote of the poster you have! I might make that one of my quotes of the week coming up--some of my students feel they're "smarter" than others :(
ReplyDeleteI agree that it may not be necessary for everyone to be active participants in media production. I think it counts for a lot simply being educated about how our media consumption is affecting us as individuals and as a society.
I like how you are thoughtfully considering what & how you would integrate the technology and online experiences in your classroom. I know some teachers just rush ahead and try and manage problems after the fact. However, other teachers refuse to embrace the value of the internet, and insist "old school" is not only fine, but better. The world wide web can be a confusing and scary place, especially when we don't know all of the possibilities and consequences. I'm grateful there are teachers like you who are thinking carefully about what's best for students.
ReplyDeleteThe idea of keeping your teaching current is certainly a key to reaching the students with information they will find relevant. The presentation certainly matters regardless of the content. I also agree that the value is knowing Net Smart skills rather than constantly blogging, etc. I believe in quality over quantity. Thus, knowing the skills will lead to an empowerment for our students/youth to share information that is deemed valuable.
ReplyDeleteI agree that as an individual it’s impossible or, at least very challenging, to exercise all the different ‘net smarts’ that Rheingold proposes on a regular basis. I think you are correct, there is value in being aware of the different ways in which we can collaborate, participate and become more conscious users of the internet. I think that the approach is much like painting, with small strokes. If we model and scaffold one skill at a time maybe we can have a lasting effect in our students.
ReplyDelete