Blog 10: The App Generation, information tools and their affordances
Blog
10: The App Generation, information tools and their affordances
I thought The App
Generation was interesting, in its perspective. I see a lot of the issues the book discusses
in my students at school. In the
introduction to the book, the author says, “we and our fellow researchers have
been examining the role technology plays
in the lives of young people” ( termed digital natives) “because they
have grown up immersed in the hardware and software of the day.” Students have a difficult time putting their
most easily available technology – their phone – aside even for a few minutes,
they have grown so used to having that interaction at hand at all times.
I appreciated the discussion we had in class, creating
columns of possibilities and constraints for the 3 main issues discussed in the
book: Identity, Intimacy, and
Imagination. Perhaps, because I am not
part of this generation, I tend to see a lot of the constraints as I look from
the outside. While I certainly admire
the quick communication and ability with the technologies themselves, I become
frustrated with the self-involved, incurious population that often seems to be in
front of me in the classroom. They often
want “the answer”, and find it frustrating to be asked for their own response
or interpretation of a problem. The take whatever their find on the Internet as
absolute truth, and don’t want to test or think past what they have read. Interacting
with teachers who are part of this generation (in class) helps to give me more
insight into a portion of this population.
Again, quoting from the book, “We live in an era when
individuals can study… when they want to, at a pace of their own selection… no
two persons have to be educated or to educate themselves in a single mandated
way.” This is the part that opens up
possibilities, for me. This is the part
that brings in the potential with teacher designers.
Moving ahead, I know I will continue to be challenged by the
need to interest students who have grown up immersed in technology. I need to find ways to involved them so they
can use their strengths with technology while not leaving behind their ability
to think outside the box, problem-solve, and be creative. I need to think as a designer for the present
and future, not get stuck in past learning styles. In terms of affordance, as with most things,
there are positives and negatives to the Apps available. I need to begin searching out more Apps I can
use with my students, since they offer another method for working with this
techno-savvy group. In doses, Apps can
provide a greater engagement and alternative approach to learning. At the same time, Apps can only offer what they
are created to be. They can’t be the
sole source of teaching, but they have the potential to provide a wonderful
supplement.
I love this thought, "I need to think as a designer for the present and future, not get stuck in past learning styles." I am pretty focused on what's here and now, and what the shifts in thinking are beginning to trend towards, but it's hard to think in terms of ten or more years down the road. Obviously we can't know what the future will be like, but I think it's important to recognize that. Education can't afford to stay stuck in old habits. Each time I finish a sentence lately, I'm reminded of how things change: Did you know it's not acceptable (supposedly) to have two spaces after a sentence anymore? I automatically tap that space bar two times, even when I'm actively typing about it! I suppose there is some saber-tooth in all of us, but recognizing that we have to evolve is a giant first step!
ReplyDeleteWhen reading your blog, I didn’t remember this quote from the book. “We live in an era when individuals can study… when they want to, at a pace of their own selection… no two persons have to be educated or to educate themselves in a single mandated way.” I love this quote. I use 3 different Math apps to teach Math and I love each of them for different reasons, I have one for fluency (Xtra Math), one for targeted skill practice (IXL) and one for individually paced and tracked learning (Aleks). Both IXL and Aleks allow me to differentiate for my students. I have 10 students who have completed 3rd Grade Aleks and so I was able to create a 4th grade class. One of those 10 students already completed their 4th grade “pie” (the way their learning is tracked) and I created a 5th grade class for her. IXL can also be used to advance as well as remediate. I love being able to offer students a choice in how and what they learn. While everyone participates in my lessons and guided practice they have a choice for their independent practice. All of the students are at different levels, everyone is being challenged and engaged. I also feel like I have more time to call small groups or help individuals as needed. What’s interesting is that I have found that even with using the apps students will hide what they are getting incorrect and get frustrated when they get an answer wrong. I spend a great deal of time explaining that difference between the learning zone and the performance zone as well as reminding them to use a growth mindset (vs. a fixed mindset). I’ve worked hard to make sure the students feel comfortable asking questions, making mistakes and getting help instead of trying to be perfect. I want them to feel like the app is enabling their learning. Sometimes the explanation to a wrong answer is overwhelming to the students (because it is so thorough) but I told them this is a great time to call me over to work through the explanation and this has alleviated some of their anxiety and I’m seeing a lot of progress.
ReplyDelete