Blog 5: The Victorian Internet and The Learning Principle
Blog 5:
The Victorian Internet and The Learning Principle
The Learning Principle: Good learning designs engage students in “playful”
activities at the edge of their knowledge and understanding using symbolic
tools to develop and internalize meaningful thought.
Clearly, our
Lesson Design for this week needs to fit the message given in this
principle. I tried to come up with ideas
that would be both fun and engaging while still developing the skills students
need to have. We’ll see in class if my
lesson is on the right track!
Each week it seems that the principles we discuss are centered on similar thoughts, just from different angles. It’s been interesting to see the different approaches. The Ends Principle, where you need to begin with a design problem (what is it you’re trying to solve?) seems to state an idea to keep in mind. Begin with the problem and keep the end in mind as you design the learning. PICKLE really broke things down into understandable pieces. Maybe my “math” mind appreciates having the specific parts outlined! The Teacher Principle, with teachers being designated as designers. Thinking about the principles, processes, patterns, and paraphernalia before actually beginning the planning. We’ve been so programmed into planning using a specific format. The pre-game reflection is interesting and daunting at the same time. The Knowledge/Content Principle: Good learning designs recognize concepts as tools, situate those concepts in the context of their use reflecting authentic activity, conceptual tools, and culture, and analyze content for generalizable knowledge. And now we add The Learning Principle.
Looking at them all side by side, the building is making more sense. Being lead to become designers of learning. It’s an interesting journey. I appreciate that I have others with me on this road!
Each week it seems that the principles we discuss are centered on similar thoughts, just from different angles. It’s been interesting to see the different approaches. The Ends Principle, where you need to begin with a design problem (what is it you’re trying to solve?) seems to state an idea to keep in mind. Begin with the problem and keep the end in mind as you design the learning. PICKLE really broke things down into understandable pieces. Maybe my “math” mind appreciates having the specific parts outlined! The Teacher Principle, with teachers being designated as designers. Thinking about the principles, processes, patterns, and paraphernalia before actually beginning the planning. We’ve been so programmed into planning using a specific format. The pre-game reflection is interesting and daunting at the same time. The Knowledge/Content Principle: Good learning designs recognize concepts as tools, situate those concepts in the context of their use reflecting authentic activity, conceptual tools, and culture, and analyze content for generalizable knowledge. And now we add The Learning Principle.
Looking at them all side by side, the building is making more sense. Being lead to become designers of learning. It’s an interesting journey. I appreciate that I have others with me on this road!
Discussing “The
Victorian Internet”, I agree with an earlier blogger. This book was very accessible. It was an enjoyable read. I like the
parallels with the present-day internet struggles. It was also a really interesting
history. The more things change, the
more they stay the same? What did I
learn? Much of what I just said. Though it was an earlier technology, so many
of the situations they ran into, in the process, are so similar to what I’ve
seen and experienced with the internet.
People trying to put forth a great new idea, only to have so many either
make fun of it, or completely ignore it.
The frustrations they felt! When
the telegraph began to take hold, all the problems that hadn’t been anticipated
(as we continue to have issues with the internet now). To use another expression, trying to shut the
barn door after the horse has already escaped.
In the excitement of the development, no one anticipated all the negative
aspects. As we have hackers and those
who use the internet to take advantage of others, so they had problems with
fraud, taking advantage of others and outright stealing with the
telegraph. I enjoyed the book, and I
enjoyed our discussion in class about the comparison of the book and “The Day
the Universe Changed”. I don’t know how
much I took away, in terms of applications to my teaching. One comment I wrote from class, “We invent
our tools to accomplish goals, but then we change our goals.” Interesting to ponder. Maybe that’s my take-away.
One big thing I
feel that I’m learning from this class is that design is a long-term process, while
following a pacing guide can be much quicker.
Someone has already thought about the steps to be taken and, as a
teacher, I fill in the pieces I think will work best. There is a lot of reflection and DESIGN that
I’ve been leaving out. Thinking about
potential authentic activities. What is
the problem I’m trying to solve? What
structure needs to be put in place?
Somewhere down the road, I’ll have some great lessons. I just hope I can get quicker at the process!
The task at hand seems daunting, are we (or at least me) capable of designing authentic math lessons and then matching them with appropriate tools for delivery?!?! I guess we'll find out ;)
ReplyDeleteI'm right with you. This is definitely daunting. I think there is an element in fun in the whole thing, though. We don't have to be perfect the first time. That's part of the reflection after the lesson. We'll have lots of opportunities to tweak as needed!
Delete“We invent our tools to accomplish goals, but then we change our goals.” That's interesting to ponder, for sure. Evolution requires innovation, and yet the problems that arise are largely due to the unchanging nature of human nature. You'd think we'd learn to account for this by now! I have felt like I've understood the lessons and principles after each class, until this past week. I'm trying to "fix" my Lesson Design Document, and I feel like I have to go back to square 1. Apparently I wasn't understanding everything as well as I thought, because I'm feeling very unsure about how to fix it. I wish I could see examples of ones done correctly, even though she said mine wasn't "wrong," it clearly wasn't right.
ReplyDeleteI also thought the parallels between the telegraph and present day struggles with the internet were fascinating. You certainly have it right when you say “the more things change, the more they stay the same.” As a response to your quote “We invent our tools to accomplish goals, but then we change our goals,” this is truly interesting because it is the tool that often leads us to change our goals. The tools imperfections leads us to create another tool to make up for its inadequacy. Thus, new technology equals new problems as we discussed in class.
ReplyDeleteI feel like new tools, techniques, technologies, you name it, are being thrown at us all the time. In teaching, someone always comes up with their own "best" way, and then we're all put on that bandwagon for a while. An end to the madness! Taking the time for THINKING, and doing the affordance analysis before we decide we're going to invest a lot of time and money. As a teacher, the time thing is like gold.
Delete‘The more things changed, the more they stay the same’. I really liked this quote because it really condenses the ideas behind The Victorian Internet. It’s difficult to read about the challenges and successes of the telegraph era and not to see how humans today are faced with the same challenges. Technology keeps promising to fix all of our problems but it also leaves us scratching our heads trying to figure out how to tackle newer problems.
ReplyDeleteI have always been inclined to embrace new tools and ideas, but our last couple of sessions have made me think that it’s not a bad idea to assess new tools before putting them into practice. It’s always exciting to try new tools and technologies, but it’s important to get in the habit of thinking about their potential benefits and downsides before putting them to the classroom test.
My math mind works like yours--the outline of each class helps me make sense of the content, too!
ReplyDeleteIt was a nice read after the Vygotsky! That was a struggle! I appreciate the parallels between history, too. Human nature doesn't seem to change.
Design is a long term process, reading the most recent article it seems that the more we get that "creative spirit" the easier it becomes to think on the go, but for the time being, to have a truly effective design still seems quite the shift from the traditional way we have done things.