Blog 4: Mind in Society

Blog 4:  Mind in Society

Reading the book this past week wasn’t easy.  It helped to discuss it in class.  I still don’t feel that I have a solid understanding but, as I understand it right now, Vygotsky’s Zone of Proximal Development is talking about that space in time when a person is ready or interested in moving ahead with learning.  “It is the distance between the actual developmental level as determined by independent problem solving and the level of potential development as determined through problem solving under adult guidance or in collaboration with more capable peer.”  Learners need to be at the right developmental stage.  When we’re ready, we use tools that we’ve acquired from the environment we’re in and gradually, using the tools we are given, begin to internalize the learning.  This internalization allows us to use what we’ve learned for problem solving, critical thinking and cognition.  In children, this happens through play.  They explore, and use trial and error to figure out the “rules”.  This play time is actually their work time.  As teachers, we need to go through a process of first modeling the learning then, as students begin practicing, coach them in their skills development, until we can eventually fade into the background.

The idea that students need to be in a place where they’re ready to learn is one I’ve definitely seen for math.  My students aren’t taking Algebra 1 until they’re in the 9th grade.   They’ve had the opportunity since 7th grade but, for them, this is a better time.  They are more likely to be in “the zone”.  The idea of math as its own language also spoke to me.  As a complex, symbolic representation, it can be difficult for students to truly grasp. The importance of being able to use the language of math so they can be better problem solvers, using critical thinking skills.  I like the modeling à Coaching à Fading process.  There needs to be a lot of this for students who are struggling to understand. 


Much of this I am already trying to do.  I think I need to give my students more time for the “play” portion of their learning, though.  They need more time to explore and use trial and error.  Letting them seek out the “rules” and see how they are used seems to be a good strategy.  I think I spend a lot of time in the modelling à Coaching phase, and don’t get to a lot of “fading”.  I need to step back and look at how I can make that happen more.  I think it will be helpful to keep the Zone in mind.  Even now, not all students seem ready to grasp what’s being presented.  I need to support them and give them time before they can really understand.

Comments

  1. I can definitely identify with not quite getting to “fading” and having students who do not grasp the information even after modeling and coaching. I enjoyed your math example of ZPD. As a language arts teacher, my best example would be students struggling to produce expository essays. While they are generally good creative writers, they either lack background knowledge of a given topic or are uninterested in writing expository pieces. How does one “play” with non-fiction? Perhaps, to get them to the edge of the zone, I must provide background lessons on not only the writing topic but also the writing process. From there, I model using mentor texts, coach them through the drafts, and fade when they write their own publishable piece. However, I am still finding students staring at a blank piece of paper when it is time to write their final essay even after modeling and coaching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes to the idea about taking Algebra in 9th grade because that's when they are "in that zone!" So many try to push kids so hard on the fast track and you see it go poorly for them because they are not at that developmental level. On the flip side, some students have had so much exposure in their culture that they come into 7th grade Algebra already knowing the basics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Math is definitely a different language. Students who don't have exposure to mathematical concepts in context are probably some of the ones who struggle the most. We (schools, families, communities) don't do a very good job at making math meaningful for very young children. That's just my opinion, and isn't at all to say that teachers aren't doing what they ought to do. I think it's the way our system has been set up, and the students don't have enough practice in their culture, in a "real" setting. Those students are then the ones who panic when a timed addition test is put in front of them, and they learn to fear math. A few failing grades, and they're forced to memorize facts, and then learn to "hate math." If math is made relevant from the start, more students might be ready to swim across that river.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Knowing when to model, coach and fade is a skill I feel I still need to perfect, and I appreciate your reflections on it. They made me think that if I modeled and coached more effectively, I could probably fade and let my students grow on their own faster. The importance of 'play' in learning is an idea that also resonated with me, although I feel I do not incorporate it into my practice as often as I should like. After all, 'play' is a simulation of real life, and is not incompatible with the idea of using 'real problems' to get students ready for real life.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog 6: Affordance Analysis & the 5th Design Principle

Blog 9: Copyright Clarity